Monday, March 29, 2010

slices of the perverse

My new job editing children's workbooks has actually begun to inspire some artistic ideas in me. Is it wrong if I steal ideas from a grade 1-2 workbook? There's just something so eerily poetic about puppets cutting their own strings. Also the bizarre image of a flower growing down into the soil while its roots grow upwards into the world as we know it. Lovely. Until I make those ideas my own, here's something from Montreal based artist Payam Montazami (congrats Payam, you're FB advertising worked). 


This stuff is so creepy. Rarely does anything in the horror genre deserve to be taken seriously, but I do really like this. It's a simple idea but something I haven't really seen before - opening the canvas up into the third dimension to reveal something underneath, which in this case is very alien. 


But who is watching us? A painted on eye? Or just ourselves and our own fears. Anything "perverse" is necessarily human and we always watch ourselves. That's what art is anyways - representations of ourselves. I also like the following piece from his Facebook photos, probably because it doesn't creep me out as much as the others.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mily, I just randomly ran across your review of my earlier work and just wanted to thank you for your comments. Almost makes me want to do a few more of these pieces.

    Let me know what you think of my new stuff ;)

    ReplyDelete